Friday, July 13, 2012

Restaurant Feature: Fado

I didn't mean to take a shot on a Thursday - I really didn't.

But after walking into Fado, fraternizing with the staff and having the three piece Irish Breakfast shot set in front of me, they had me at "bacon chaser."


Fado may not be quaint, but the expansive Irish pub lends itself both to ex-pats looking for a taste of home (most of the bartenders are either from Ireland, or first generation), and also to the River North scene-ers. But contrary to many of it's State and LaSalle competitors, it's the kind of place that you could go by yourself, or gasp - in flip flops - and have a "craic." 

I sat down with Mallory McSweeney, Event Sales and Marketing Manager for Fado (as well as a parade of Irish bartenders including Tom, Shane and Sully), to learn about what Fado prioritizes in pleasing their patrons. She was charming company, the it was the whole experience that spoke for itself. It is the quintessential pub experience, where everybody knows your name. 

And that may be natural to the staff they hire, but it's also a priority of management. As part of the "Get To Know Your Customer" policy, or GTKYC as they call it, it's not only suggested, but a requirement of the job to find out where you come from, what you do and who your daddy is. 

No matter what your scene, they'll make you feel welcome. Like fitness? They have a running club. Like "football?" Come in for a pint at 5am. Like drinking? Trick question: who doesn't? But most importantly, Fado is the only bar in Chicago that offers live music (yes, cover bands, trixies) at no cover charge. You can dance if you want to, and leave your friends behind, all for the price of the Magners you put down. 

I'll have more about duplicating this hosting experience in your home later on in the week, but Mallory was kind enough to jot down a few notes about the experience she and her team give to their guests.

If you don't recognize the design of the tree, you're not a U2 fan

What three words would you use to describe the experience you want Fado patrons to have?
Our motto is actually ‘ol ceol agus craic’ – drinks, music, and fun

When you were designing the decor of the restaurant, how did you incorporate those themes?

Fadó’s design strongly reflects Irish history and Irish pubs – neither of which you can think of without incorporating drinks, music, and fun.  We have a European draught system so each pint is poured exactly to the brewer’s specs.  We import our Guinness straight from Dublin and have an extensive Irish whiskey selection, as well as a fun seasonal drinks menu.  We have a stage on the second floor where we have live music every Friday and Saturday night – with no cover charge.  Our staff is welcoming and will absolutely have the craic with you – meaning they’re up for a bit of fun and not just slinging drinks at you.  

What are the most important factors in planning your menu?

We want to remain true to the pubs Irish roots but also deliver a higher quality than you might expect in “pub fare."  Our Kitchen Manager is a chef with a degree from the Culinary Institute of America – we maintain high standards.  We also have a seasonal aspect to our menu which allows us to branch out and put our own spin on current culinary trends.  Our menu ranges from brunch in the morning to appetizers well into the night on the weekends.  We want to be sure we’re always able to provide for our guests.

What is your favorite special to include on the menu? Why?

I love snacking, and our happy hour menu rotates frequently so every other month or so there’s a bunch of new small plates ($3-5) to try!  My current favorites are the fried pickles and hot brie rarebit.

What (if anything) makes you nervous about entertaining - either at the restaurant or at home? How do you overcome it?

I guess like everyone I’m afraid people are going to be disappointed!  I throw events here for 10 to 450 guests, I tout the pub everywhere I go, invite my friends in, chat to strangers who come in – I love the atmosphere here, I love hanging out here, and I want everyone to see what I do.  I suppose it’s the same when you put the effort into having people over to your home, you want them to leave having had a good time and enjoying the food and drinks.

When your guests leave, what do you hope they say to their friends?

I look at Fadó as the club alternative in River North.  My friends and I aren’t into clubs or the newest, trendiest bars in town.  We’re more likely to go to the chill bar where you aren’t waiting forever to get in and then trying to impress the bartenders for a drink.  I hope people tell their friends they loved the music, had a great time, and laughed their ass off with the bartender.

For people entertaining at home, what do you think is the most important thing they can do to recreate this style of entertaining?

Ireland has this concept of a “publican” that we don’t have here in the States.  The bar managers there welcome every single person into the bar full on, have a chat with them, get to know them – as if they’re a guest in their home.  Offering food and keeping drinks full is all part of making sure they’re happy and satisfied while they’re with you.  I think that even in our homes in the States we sometimes lack this level of welcome – when you have guests I think that you should be “on” at all times – filling plates and cups and keeping the conversation flowing around you, make your guests feel at home at all time.



Email Mallory for information about entertaining at Fado.



No comments:

Post a Comment