Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Return of the Mac

There's something to be said for quinoa, but for this corn-fed Midwestern girl, there's nothing like macaroni and cheese.

Luckily, the trend powers that be have told us that mac and cheese is so in right now - even when you add hot dogs.

I've always been a big fan of the mac, but was particularly inspired after a trip to Mecca, excuse me, I meant The Southern Mac & Cheese Store (so rude to open next to my work). With creative combinations like barbecue brisket and chorizo pepper jack, alongside a healthy helping of more traditional macs.


Riding this high, I gathered the troops for a make your own mac night.

"Make your own" nights are a dangerous game, because there's nothing worse than inviting guests over to earn their keep. Indentured servitude went out with cosmopolitans and trouser-fit jeans. When people come over for dinner (or go to a restaurant - I'm looking at you, Mongolian Barbecue), they want someone else to make the food, and to know it will taste good.

The key to keeping your guests happy is to make the base yourself. In this instance, I baked a big pot of Mom's one-dish macaroni and cheese - my dirty secret of easy entertaining. It's delicious, simple and easy to clean-up - perfect for after-work entertaining. For my celiac friend, who has been very patient with my g-free learning curve, I made an instant one... someday, I'll master the true g-free mac.


But again, people want to know it will taste good, and it's stressful to have to pick and choose. In addition to the macaroni and cheese, I provided pieces of broiled hot dogs, pulled rotisserie chicken, bacon, feta cheese, goat cheese, American cheese, bleu cheese, barbecue sauce, buffalo sauce and grilled onions. Overwhelming, right?


Fear not, guests - the faint of heart can rely on a tried and true favorite from the menu (bear with the poor photo quality).


And when the day was done, I didn't hear any complaints...


But I did find this funny picture on a napkin:


Mom's One-Dish Macaroni:

  • 2 cups uncooked macaroni
  • 3 tbsp. flour
  • 1.5 tsp. salt
  • 1 small onion, chopped (or 2 t. instant minced)
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 tbsp. butter or margarine in pieces
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
Heat oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine all ingredients except cheese in a large baking dish. Mix well. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until macaroni is tender and sauce has thickened, stirring every 15 minutes (all of the liquid doesn't need to be absorbed). Stir in cheese and cover casserole until it sets. Add breadcrumbs and bake five additional minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment