Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mothers' Day in September?

You may only thank your mother in May, but this year, my Mom's September 17 birthday turned into a Mama drama of the best sort when my beautiful niece Anna was born just hours after a bountiful brunch!

Though those of us in the throes of the day barely remember the brunch, I promise it was delicious (and alert to preggos, may speed up labor!).

September is such a fun season for entertaining - right in the midst of the pre-pumpkin days. I went with an apple theme and made a Dutch Baby (German apple pancake) alongside apple slices and chocolate truffles, and apple brandy mimosas to wash everything down.


Since there were men in the house, I also stocked up on some good harvest beers to keep the cajones in tact.


To repeat at home:

Dutch Baby

  • Two large yellow-green apples
  • One stick butter
  • Three eggs
  • One cup milk
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • Dash of salt
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • Syrup to taste
  • Brown sugar
I went off the recipe reservation, so for the krauts out there, I know this isn't how your fraulein made it. I sliced and thinly peeled the apples and sautéed them in quite a bit of butter. In separate bowls, I mixed the dry and wet ingredients then combined them with an electric mixer. Then, I added a bit of brown sugar to the apples before turning off the heat and adding the batter on top of the evenly spread apples. I then baked the pancake for about 20 minutes at 375 in the skillet. 

Before serving, I topped the pancake with butter and brown sugar. The recipe said it served 6 - 8, but my Irish folks could have eaten more. 

Apple Brandy Mimosa
  • 1 part apple juice
  • 3 parts cheap champagne
  • SMALL shot brandy
  • Dash of cinnamon (or garnish the glass with cinnamon sugar)
Mix and garnish with apple slice or cinnamon stick. Serve ice cold. 


It was a wonderful day with family, and it was so wonderful to celebrate Mothers new and... never mind, I know better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment