Thursday, May 10, 2012

Shhhhh (shortcuts that won't detract from dinner)

The other day, I caught an episode of Barefoot Contessa in which the unthinkable was promoted: store-bought food for a backyard rehearsal dinner.

Giada has long led us to believe that we should not only be able to put a dinner on the table from scratch while looking glamorously like we haven't been fed in a hot minute, but like a ray of sunlight through this dreary Chicago Spring, Ina told us it was a-ok to take a few shortcuts.

This weekend, I had the pleasure of gathering fifteen friends in my new home for a joint birthday party for the lovely Cara and Cinco de Mayo fiesta. With all of the cause to celebrate, there was a lot to do.

So, fine. I'll admit it. I took a few shortcuts.

But you should too.

Taking the path more travelled can give you time to devote to more dramatic endeavors, like the g-free bountiful garden cake that stole the dessert show. They should be used carefully, and when there's something else special on the table (unless you have good enough friends to invite them over for frozen pizza or leftovers), but when you're putting together a full meal or elaborate hors d'ouvres, a few cut corners can cut hours of prep.

Tin Serving Dishes
I may have mentioned that I no longer have a dishwasher in the new Host Home. In order to enjoy the party, rather than overhearing it from the kitchen, I use these tinfoil dishes to house family style foods. No clean-up, oven-safe, and I can throw them in the fridge or toss them when I'm done. ***Do not put them in the microwave - trust.


Box Mixes
Depending on where the focus of your meal will be, using box mixes or seasoning packets can cut prep time and guarantee results. I have limited experience baking without gluten (because I love gluten), so I picked up this chocolate cake instead of trying my hand at celiac-friendly cakes.


And frosting, too:


Paper Plates
I don't like paper plates - really, I don't. For seated dinners, you should always roll out the red carpet and good dishes. But for informal entertaining (especially if you don't have a dishwasher - did I mention that I don't?), you can pick some cute, themed paper plates (try Target) and maintain a festive feeling with fast cleanup.


No comments:

Post a Comment