Monday, May 7, 2012

Cinco de Mayo, Twenty-Six de Cara

Spring always brings so many reasons to celebrate after a long, cold winter, so with Cinco de Mayo and my friend Cara's birthday coming up, it seemed a perfect weekend to gather the troops for an afternoon of Mexican food and libations.

Mexican food is a great crowd pleaser, and an easier option for a hostess, since a lot of it can be made the night before and served buffet style.

As my friend Anne said, "I like cheese and sour cream, and Mexican food is a vehicle for those things." She ain't wrong.

Among the bowls of veggies, fruit, guacamole, tostadas and desserts, there were a few particularly tasty vehicles that I've detailed below. Crack a Corona and try them at home!



Desserts and appetizers underway
Chop Salsa and Corn Chips
Skip the Old El Paso and head to your garden (or grocery store) to make this fresh chopped salsa. It does take a lot of chopping, but can be made the night before (I actually think it tastes better if the flavors have a minute to settle).


To make (all chopped):
- Seven roma tomatoes
- One medium-sized onion
- One large green pepper
- One can black beans
- One can corn
- Juice of two limes
- Salt (I like lots, some like little)
- Dash of sugar









Taco Bar
It's not Cinco de Mayo without tacos. Rather than going with typical beef tacos, I changed things up with chicken, chorizo and fish tacos. The chorizo and fish were easy enough to fry and keep warm the morning of the party (which started at noon), but in order to pull the chicken, I put it in the crockpot for six hours the night before and reheated it in the oven the next morning.


To make: 
I vary this recipe every time, but this recipe included
- Six boneless chicken breasts
- One can garbanzo beans
- One can black beans
- One can chili beans
- One can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Two packets taco seasoning (McCormick are g-free if you are lucky enough to have a celiac in your life!)

Simmer in crock pot for five to six hours on high, pull with forks when tender.


Libations
It certainly wouldn't be Cinco de Mayo without a few Mexican beers. And by a few, I mean that I couldn't lift the garbage this morning.

To make beer punch: 
- Pour six beers into a pitcher
- Add one can limeade concentrate

No comments:

Post a Comment